Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Stillburrow Crush

This week's WoW is

The Stillburrow Crush

by Linda Kage. It was previously released on February 26, 2010.
The Stillburrow CrushSummary from Goodreads:

Sixteen year old, Carrie Paxton, isn't the most popular girl in her small town of Stillburrow. But that's never concerned her before. Her life revolves around her writing, and she loves her job as the student editor of the school paper.
But when she gets assigned to interview the football team's beloved quarterback, she takes one look into Luke Carter's blue eyes and is a goner. Suddenly, she doesn't like her lowly rank so much. Then her dreamy, popular crush surprises her when he starts to act as if he likes her in return. But there's no way Luke Carter could possibly ever like a nobody like Carrie Paxton. Is there?

Why I'm Waiting: I dislike it when books sound so awesome and you really want to buy it, but your bookstore doesn't have it. Then if your bookstore doesn't have it, you have scour the Internet for it and possibly find it on Book Depository for a decent price and free shipping. How can you beat that? It is awesome and I love Book Depository as if it were my own child, but when it comes to books, I can be pretty.....impatient. I know, real shocker, huh? I want to go up to the register and pay for my books and then touch and feel them as my mom drives me home and to me browsing the teen section while drinking a frozen caramel macchiato is half the fun of reading. I hope that I will be able to find it in a bookstore during spring break vacation, but if I don't I will end up buying it offline and checking the mailbox every day like a crazy person.
Excerpt from Linda Kage’s site
I turned to stare out the passenger-side window,focusing on an old house that had been abandoned for as long as I could remember. I said, “They really ought to tear that place down. Just look at that sagging roof.”
Luke gave a soft laugh behind me. “That would involve change.”
“What do you mean?”
“Haven’t you ever noticed this town’s stuck in a time capsule? It’s like we’ve never heard of the term progress. I mean, there’s hardly any cell phone towers around and forget about high speed internet.”
“High speed what?” I asked, glancing back to give him a puzzled look.
He opened his mouth to explain, when it dawned on him I was joking. “You always have to be a smart aleck, don’t you?”
We shared a smile.
I looked into his face and relished these minutes where I could ogle him selfishly. I knew I should give him the information he wanted from me now, but I could only stare. It took me a moment to notice his expression, though.
His gaze had been roaming my face but had paused on my left ear. When he snorted out a surprised laugh, I frowned.
He pointed a finger toward my hair. “Uh, I think the wind messed it up some.”
I patted my head, my face flaming.
“Here,” Luke said, and flipped down his visor,lighting up the mirror underneath. I looked up and groaned. Not only had the wind caught a hold of my hair and ripped it half out of its ponytail, it had also knotted and twisted it into a healthy-sized rat’s nest.
I tried to ignore the fact that Luke was sitting next to me—and already knew exactly what the disaster looked like—and ripped the holder out of my hair. I combed through the mess with my fingers but there were knots everywhere. When I caught him staring again, I glared.
“What?” I demanded. But he continued to gawk. I patted at my hair and wondered what he could possibly be thinking about the mess.
“I’ve never seen it all down before,” he said.
Startled, I glanced back in the mirror. I’d seen it down millions of times. I just didn’t leave the house with it loose. There was too much of it to let it run wild. I tried to see it how Luke must see it. It was curly—so curly it bobbed. Tight little curls framed my face like a border full of personality. From the corner of my eye, I saw Luke lift his hand toward one spiraling lock.
But when I turned to him, he lowered his fingers and shifted his attention out the window. I stared at his profile for a second, breathing hard.
“It’s pretty,” he said, more to the windshield than to me.
I wanted him to lift his hand again. I wanted him to touch my hair.
“I think yours is prettier.”
He laughed. “Guys do not have pretty hair.”
“Well, yours is.”
I reached over and touched his hair. I thought maybe if I touched his, he might get the guts to touch mine. But at contact, I gasped.
“It’s so soft.”
I ran my fingers through the part that always curled around a cowlick when it got wet. I scooted over, leaning across the console between us.
“Carrie.”
His voice sounded strained so I looked down. I hadn’t realized I’d moved so close. But when I gazed into his face, we were only a breath apart. I was positioned a little above him so I could reach his hair. He lifted his face up to stare at me. His eyes were a blazing blue.
That’s when he touched my hair. He drew his fingers through the curls to cup my head. Then he tilted his chin to the side and pulled me down. I was shocked when our mouths connected. He was kissing me.
Oh my God, Luke Carter was kissing me.
What are you waiting for?

1 bubbles:

Linda Kage said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Keturah!

Sadly, The Stillburrow Crush only sells in online bookstores, unless you find one used somewhere. BUT...on Thursday Feb 24, Diane Estrella is giving away a free copy of it on her blog, http://dianeestrella.com/. Maybe you could win it!!

Thanks for WOWing TSC. I was so tickled to see it here.

Post a Comment

This is an award-free blog. Sorry. :/

back to top