Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jane by April Lindner

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 384

Publisher:

Publication Date: October 11, 2010

Summary from Goodreads:

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.
Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.

Why I Read This: The summary interested me and I had never read Jane Eyre. I had tried but I couldn't understand the dialogue and get into it. The version, more modern, kept me intrigued until the very last word.

My Review: I loved this Jane. I just couldn't get into the other one and I got bored not understanding the words. I knew of Jane's stoic nature, but hardly of anything else. This book for me really wasn't a remake but an introduction. It was like being at a symphony, seeing the orchestra after only listening to it on your iPod. Jane is her usual stiff self, but I had a better understanding of her. It broke my heart to hear of how her mother treated her and to imagine experiencing that type of obvious favoritism.

There was always a sort of grudge that I held with Jane Eyre and Jane. I did not like the age difference at all. I just can't get connected with that because when I was reading Jane Eyre, I always imagined him as wrinkly and old and the opposite of Nico. I got over the age difference very easily because I got the understanding that it was no different from Edward and Bella. Jane was young in age, but had a maturity that made her relationship real and not a grown man dating a child.

Nico was likable after I understood. He had a strange aloof way about him and was forward with Jane and more or less knew how to be with Jane.

I really don't know how to describe him except that I think it was Jane and their relationship that made him a memorable part of the book. Another thing was Jane's relationship with Maddy. I just loved it and was very glad that they got along. I know how hard or awkward it is when a parent starts to date again and I was worried that they wouldn't get along. I finished this book in one setting and there wasn't a minute that was wasted. April Lindner made me truly enjoy a classic and everything from their meeting to their break-up was enjoyable and maybe, just maybe, inspired me to retry Jane Eyre.

0 bubbles:

Post a Comment

This is an award-free blog. Sorry. :/

back to top