Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguie




Summary from Goodreads:
"ONCE UPON A TIME" IS TIMELESS

When a storm brings the dashing Prince Richard to her family's farm, Violet falls in love at first sight. Richard also gives Violet his heart, but he knows his marriage is destined to be an affair of state, not of passion. For the king and queen have devised a contest to determine who will win their son's hand in marriage.

To be reunited with her prince, Violet must compete against princesses from across the land. It will take all of her wits - and a little help from an unexpected source - if Violet is to demonstrate the depth of her character and become Richard's bride.


Why I Read This: I had not read anything sappy and fluffy in a while. Even though this story was an adventure in it's own, the love parts are heartbreaking.

Plot: This story is one of the many remakes of the classic "Princess and the Pea." It was a total spin on my favorite bedtime princess story. Violet is a country farm girl, when after a storm, a man is found injured outside. After the man is awakened, he introduces himself as Prince Richard, heir to the Cambrian throne. News has already been spread around about his marriage to a princess and that there is to be a contest. Richard becomes ill and in caring for him, he and Violet fall deeply in love. There is a little twist I'd like to see if you remember, but when Richard leaves, Violet leaves also to compete in the competition to be his wife. With help from a mysterious source and some of the best friends ever, Violet is the one to beat in the fight for her man.

Characters: I loved mostly all of the characters in this book. They were all so interactive and all had a place to themselves. Violet was inspiring to me. She had so much courage to stand before the King and Queen and ask to be in the competition. Me, being the shy person I am, finds such a feat incredible. Violet was totally different from all the other princesses and she knew it. She did everything in her power to win Richard, but in the end she knew who she was. And if I may quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Richard was one of the best men that I have ever read about. I liked his first observation of Violet, that she was beautiful in a "wild sort of way." He was desperate for her to win, but was determined to marry her either way.
My favorite supporting character was Princess Genevieve. I can only describe her as a true friend. She showed her herself friendly in the beginning and never left Violet's side during her trials. I have a friend like this and she is my rock. Reading of Genevieve reminded me of her.

Relatibility: I could relate to Violet's self-doubt about not belonging and then wanting to go on to prove herself and win. I could also understand the situation of the princesses' duties. Some times I feel pressured to do things, but I find that the biggest weights on my shoulders have been placed there by me. Being my myself is a lesson that I am on my way to relating to, although I am much closer after reading Violet Eyes.

Cover Comments: I loved that it depicted the famous bed scene of her climbing the monstrous piles of mattresses. I was so excited for the scene and happy to have an illustration while reading.

0 bubbles:

Post a Comment

This is an award-free blog. Sorry. :/

back to top