Wednesday, August 31, 2011

ARC Review: Kat, Incorrigible (The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson, #1) by Stephanie Burgis

Summary: Katherine Ann Stephenson has just discovered that she's inherited her mother's magical talents, and despite Stepmama's stern objections, she's determined to learn how to use them. But with her eldest sister Elissa's intended fiancé, the sinister Sir Neville, showing a dangerous interest in Kat's magical potential; her other sister, Angeline, wreaking romantic havoc with her own witchcraft; and a highwayman lurking in the forest, even Kat's reckless heroism will be tested to the upmost. If she can learn to control her new powers, will Kat be able to rescue her family and win her sisters their true love? (Goodreads)

     I was definitely surprised by my outcome opinion of Kat, Incorrigible. It is a middle-grade fiction and I don't usually read those. Kat has certainly changed my outlook. For some reason, I didn't know from the summary that it was set in nineteenth-century England and that raised my awareness on the first page. When I began to read the first page, though, all my weariness was washed away. Kat's voice captivated me entirely. She just sounded so alive and sure of herself. The beginning sentence was hilarious and it only got better from there. If you can't already tell, I loved Kat so very much. She was funny and caring. She made a lot of mistakes and took responsibility for them and she tried to fix them as best she could. Her sisters were a big part of her and wonderful supporting characters. Their personalities were unique and they made the best addition to the story.

     Another surprising factor, to me, was the involvement of magic. Although surprising it was welcome and was the main accessory to Kat's and her sister's adventures.  Angeline, her middle sister, does a love spell on a man that made me have to stifle my giggles in the doctor's office. Katherine Ann Stephenson has turned me on to the world of middle grade books, more specifically hers. In the last sentence of the book, Kat says, "I could hardly wait to find out what would happen next." All I could think was, "I agree."

0 bubbles:

Post a Comment

This is an award-free blog. Sorry. :/

back to top