Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle

Wealth, privilege, and way too many pastel-tinted opinions...that's Carly's life. And guess what? It's. Getting. On. Her. Nerves.

Carly wants to be real, and she's always counted on her little sister, Anna, to lover her and support her—and tell her how right she is. But when Anna turns "hot" over the course of a single summer, everything goes weird. Suddenly Anna's swimming in the deep end with the big girls—while Carly watches, hurt, from the kiddie pool. And of course there are boys involved, complicating things as boys always do.

With warmth, insight, and an unparalleled gift for finding humor even in stormy situations, beloved author Lauren Myracle dives into the tumultuous waters of sisterhood and shows that even very different sisters can learn to help each other stay afloat. (Goodreads)

Plot Opinion: I liked this plot and situation a lot and felt I could really relate to Carly. I hardly ever read or remember reading books that revolve so heavily around the South. Carly was an outdoorsy person that cam back to her baby sister Anna wearing bras bigger than hers. She has to figure out how to deal with things and still keep herself sane, which is harder than it sounds. I think Lauren portrayed Carly and Anna well and with this book, for a change, the intense realism was what made it awesome.

Characters: I have such bittersweet things that I liked and didn't like with Carly. Sometime I found her intelligent and mature. Other times....she was one of the stupidest people I'd ever read about. She didn't do well under stress, like dealing with Anna's growth and a boy not liking her. Some times she treated Anna like crap to make up for her own self-esteem issues.
Even though Carly was the main character, Anna was by far my favorite. I could understand her more because of Anna's insecurities. I admired her strength and sometimes felt sorry for how Carly treated her.

Overview: In its true and bittersweet characters, I loved this bookend was left with an invigorated feeling after I closed the cover. I felt as if I had learned something important and applicable. A feeling that comes with all truly good books.

0 bubbles:

Post a Comment

This is an award-free blog. Sorry. :/

back to top