Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Format: Hardback
Pages: 441
Publisher: Harper Teen

Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.
Lauren Oliver astonished readers with her stunning debut, Before I Fall. In a starred review, Publishers Weekly called it "raw, emotional, and, at times, beautiful. An end as brave as it is heartbreaking." Her much-awaited second novel fulfills her promise as an exceptionally talented and versatile writer.


Patterned Text Generator at TextSpace.net
     I don't know what to say..... I mean, honestly, speechless. My journey with Delirium began with all the awesome reviews about it, but I never imagined that it could really be so good. I started Delirium a week ago and it took me a bit of time to get into it. I thought that it would be the first book that I actually didn't finish. I am so glad that I decided to persevere on. I am just breathless.
There are so many characteristics to this book that make it legendary. The extra little things that catch you attention can make you smile so big. Lena was just the perfect main character and she had the most wonderful personality to fully experience the heart-throbbing pain that is love. She seem to annoy me in the beginning because she was such a follower. Until the mid-beginning and I realized that she hadn't had any type of knowledge to go on and that she was scared. Scared of the tingles and the goosebumps. She steadily grows in our eyes to learn with the help of Alex, that love, real love, is worth fighting for.
     Alex, what can I say about him? I think that he may be the sweetest, most wonderful man I've ever read about and he is definitely competing with Edward in my heart. I love seeing him through Lena's eyes, the way that she describes him with such adoration. He is indescribable and if I tried it would turn into a horrible ramble filled with breath sighs and wistful looks.
     The most important thing that probably would have ruined the whole book was that if Lauren didn't get the environment correct. In Lena and Alex's world, love is a disease and without the cure, you could be fatally infected. The world is so incredulous because love is what makes everything else worth living and a place without it is hard to imagine. The plot captured my attention because it made me actually face my horrible fear of the best thing being fatal and a sickness. Lauren shows us the worst thing and then she shows us that love, being as wonderful as it is, can't be pushed down for long and will eventually rise again and beat out everything.
I have never been in love or even dated or kissed or anything of that matter, but when I do get that lucky, I want it to be like Lena and Alex's. It doesn't necessarily have to be filled with flying bullets and regulators, but I want to be something that makes life worth living and something that I would die for. So intensely good and great, that it can't help but be beautiful. Lauren has instantly become one of my favorite authors. Delirium makes you think and for some people, it could be the thing that shows you what you have coming or what you could be missing out on, take this advice to heart...don't miss out on this book. It will change your life.

First Line: "It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure."

Favorite Line: "I love you. Remember. They cannot take it."

0 bubbles:

Post a Comment

This is an award-free blog. Sorry. :/

back to top